[nabs-l] Writing lyrics to chords, or vise versa

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 02:15:13 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I'm majoring in music therapy now, and one of the things we do a lot
is help clients write songs of their own.  Though I don't have much
experience in this yet for clinical use, and since you're not really
looking for it, I'll just give you some basic tips that I've learned
about from attending professional conferences and workshops on
songwriting.  :)

First, try to look at any sets of lyrics you might have.  Do they have
a rhythm you might want to consider using?  Sometimes rhythm can be
more important than pitches or chords, because part of what rhythm
does is help to convey the feeling like poetry does.  Once you
establish a rhythm scheme you have one more aspect of the song puzzled
in.

Next, try to come up with a melody.  This is the part that's always
been hardest for me.  Don't make it outrageiously large in range, it
should be something you're comfortable singing.

Next, you can put the chords in fairly easily.  Look at the key your
melody is in, then focus the chords around that melody.  A very
generic chord progression for modern songs is one, six, four, five,
repeat.  If it's minor you could try the same progression, it will
just sound different.  Other patterns are one, four, five, or one six,
two, five, one.  That is the common "Doo whop" progression you would
hear in a lot of fifties or sixties music, think Grease.  That one is
kind of nice because it is a little more unexpected any more.

When you're working the other way around, start with your melody and
try to add words and a rhythm to it.  The chords should fall into
place naturally based on what the other elements of your song are.
Really, they're the least important part, so they'll come later.

Another thing you could do to practice writing lyrics and playing
popular chord progressions is to parody popular songs.  I did this a
lot with a friend when I was younger, and now that I know a little
more about songwriting some of what we did as 14 and 15 year olds is
actually really good.  The parodies can be humorous---they don't have
to be serious at all, it's just a way to get you practicing working
with rhythm and writing about a different topic.  You can also try
taking established words and writing a new melody to them, then adding
in chords to make a new arrangement.

Hope this helps.

Kaiti