[nabs-l] Seeking advice from any commic book fans out there.

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 04:40:05 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This semester I'm in a really awesome English 200 course at my
university.  All of our English courses for 100 and 200 (the two
required composition courses) have themes.  I'm in a class which is
themed "Superheros and Villains in Society."  It looks at the
historical, cultural, and social contexts of supers, and the roles
they play as archetypes and icons in various societies.  The course
looks really diverse, and I know we're planning on exploring supers
and villains who are in minorities.  In fact, one of our scheduled
readings later in the semester is The Silver Scorpian.  This is a
relatively new comic from what I understand, and my professor says
people who are not interested in commics, disability studies, or both
would likely know who he is.  Basically, he's a Muslum kid from the
Middle East, who is wheelchair-bound after being involved in a
bombing.  He is chosen to handle a power that has been hidden for
centuries, and has to stand up for justice as... you guessed it, the
Silver Scorpian.

My professor is also wonderful, and is willing to work with me to make
the class as accessible as possible.  One of our readings which we
will be starting next week is The Watchman, and instead of having the
disability office go through the entire book and narrate all the
pictures (which there are a lot of so my book would be very late), the
prof has given me permission to watch a version of the film which
speaks the dialog, and will allow me to pause the DVD to look at the
pictures in the book zoomed in and on a large computer display.  She
has also provided the class with chapter summaries, and sent them to
me in advance.  However, the Silver Scorpian books are even less of
graphic novels and more like actual commics than Watchman is, and
there is no movie adaptation since he's still a new character.  My
prof has said she would be willing to come up with an alternative
assignment and let me use another movie, and she even said I would be
fine to do Dare Devel if I wanted to since I already own that movie.

However, I am curious as to whether or not there is a comic resource
out there.  Bookshare sometimes describes illustration in files and
I've seen that before, but they don't have commics as far as I can
tell from my searches.  Any ideas how I might be able to get a copy of
The Silver Scorpian?  If not, I'm perfectly happy to do a project
using a film adaptation on Dare Devel or Iron Man (her other
suggestion), but I'm mainly just curious as to whether or not this is
out there.

Thanks in advance,

--
Kaiti