[nabs-l] Seeking advice from any commic book fans out there.

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:06:40 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Minh brought up some good points.  I'm mainly looking into this so I
can have all options available.  There is no text at all in The Silver
Scorpian, so it would probably take either a reader or the disability
services staff to follow the "Written descriptions of images used in
class" part of my accomodations in order for me to get it.

I met with my professor before class this morning, and she clarified
that Silver Scorpian is just an example.  Our last assigned paper is
about diversity in superhero fiction, and she picked him because the
main character is in a wheelchair, and also diverse racially.  She
also thinks it's really cool that American and Sirian teens worked
together to develop the character and story, and since we have a few
international students from middle eastern countries in our class
they'd be able to get a cultural kickback out of reading about a
non-American super.  However, she suggested writing about Iron Man,
Dare Devel, or Chief from XMen more as other options for the paper if
I wanted to write about disability specifically, rather than coming up
with an alternative assignment.  The class does not have to write on
Silver Scorpian, or disability at all; the paper could also be about
LGBT representation in super fiction, gender in heroes, etc.  It's
also going to require research that might not even be about
superheroes.  For example, she said that if I chose to write about how
Tony Stark is diverse due to his heart problems represented in super
fiction, I would want to research cardiology so I have information to
site in my paper.

I'm stubborn and typically avoid using readers and scribes for things,
but I do want to at least have the option of writing on The Silver
Scorpian even if I do choose to write about Dare Devel or Iron Man for
the paper.  I'd like to be able to do it by myself if at all possible,
so I will get someone to describe it if no other option for me to do
it independently becomes available.

To answer Chris's question, I have not checked Bard.  Another way in
which I'm stubborn I guess is that I'm a bookshare snob; I don't
really like Bard or Learning Ally.  Honestly, I think Learning Ally
might be the most likely source to have it, but I just hate listening
to people read.  I pay attention much better when I use braille and do
my own work.

Kaiti