[nabs-l] Bookstore problems

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:59:13 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am not required to buy my books on campus, but the scholarship I
have is there so it is silly to not use it.  At least, that was my
thinking before I realized that these changes were made and it would
take forever for me to just get the print copies of the books so I
could exchange my receits for the text files the DS office had done
well in advance of the school year.  I did end up buying one book from
Amazon this semester, but looking ahead to next semester and next
year, I think I should have the right to use my book scholarship and
get my books on-time like everyone else in my class who qualified for
it.  Especially since I submit my alternative format requests way in
advance of the start of each semester, it's silly to have the books
done and stuck in the DS office where they can't be used.

I'm hoping that the manager will be willing to let me continue paying
in advance for any print copies which don't come in due to bookstore
error when the DS office has them ready to be picked up.  I have no
problem with paying via my scholarship, and look at it this way; if I
pay for the book and never actually pick up the print copy, that's one
more they have in their stock so its a win win situation.  I'm just
shocked that the DS office didn't say something before I did.  I told
them back in the first and second weeks of school the issues I was
having, and though the worked wieth me to make sure I was still able
to do my assignments they didn't actually work towards putting more
than a bandaid on the problem.

I've thought about trying to organize a group of students on campus to
discuss issues like this and to get a little more backing on certain
things, but the DS office seems pretty tight-lipped when it comes to
confidentiality.  I really don't know that many other people who go to
the DS office for accomodations even though I do know they're out
there, so I'm not quite sure how I'd start such a group.  It's a great
idea that could be really awesome if carried out though.

Kaiti