[nabs-l] Contacting colleges

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 10:12:40 UTC 2014

Lillie,

I want to recommend you do a lot more research about the schools you
want to attend before contacting Admission counselors to get more
information. Many of the questions you posed can be easily answered by
going to the college website and looking through the Admissions
portion of the site. Furthermore, student life stats can be found in
the student life or student affairs section. This way, you can learn
more about the college and have concrete questions to ask the
counselor once you do contact them. Speaking from experience, many
Admission counselors are extremely busy and if you email/call with
questions like, what is the graduation rate of the school or how is
the school broken down in terms of diversity, they will automatically
point you toward their website for those kind of statistics. As for
college tours, don't be afraid to visit on the weekends because
college breaks are completely different from high school breaks and I
guarantee that there will always be students around for you to talk
to. College students are always happy to talk to perspective students
about the good and the bad of their university. Another thing you
should look into when researching your colleges is see whether or not
they have an overnight host program where perspective students can go
and stay with a current student and learn more about the true
environment of the college. I did several of these programs as a
junior/senior in HS and they gave me a glimpse into the student life
of my perspective schools.

Regarding talking to DS offices, this is a lot easier because you
already know what you need as a student. Make a list of the
accommodations you are receiving now as a high school student and
discuss each point with whichever office you are talking to. If
braille is a huge must for you, tell them that you need all your
materials in braille. If you only need braille for math and science,
say that too. I don't think we can create a list of questions for you
to ask because it is so subjective.

Good luck,
Minh