[nabs-l] [SPAM?] STEM Classes in a Large Lecture Setting

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 22:42:29 UTC 2014

Hi Miso,
I majored in biology and took several bio, chem and stats courses in
large lectures. I personally found that the vast majority of graphical
material was not necessary for me to learn because it was redundant
with the spoken lecture, textbook or both. I was able to earn high
grades in these courses by simply listening to the lectures and
keeping up with textbook reading. Occasionally maybe about 10% of the
time, something in a diagram was actually distinct from the verbal
part of the course. When that happened, a quick discussion with the
prof or TA's in office hours always cleared it up.
Some blind students like to have readers or DSS make them tactile
diagrams. If it helps you learn and your school provides that service,
go ahead. My school provided tactile diagrams but I did not find them
at all helpful. Instead I preferred to have the prof describe
essential information. But everybody is different.
Generally, remember that sighted people usually rely on diagrams and
charts much more than we do, so sighted professors tend to make a
bigger deal about the value of their diagrams than is usually
warranted.

Best,
Arielle