[nabs-l] University Engineering Career Fair: How to discuss my vision

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Mon Sep 29 03:04:02 UTC 2014

Hi

I will be attending the ASU Engineering Career Fair and the Grace Hopper
Celebrating Women in Computing Career Fair. I am looking for some insight
on whether or not to mention my visual disability.

I am not ashamed or want to hide it but need to find the correct segue to
bring it up.

I do not use a cane so the fact that I am legally blind is not obvious. I
do squint, as I am severely light sensitive, and wear red contacts. Also,
if I am looking at anything I am holding it very close to my face. I know
that people are aware and notice these things but tend to make incorrect
assumptions. Some of the things people have thought about me or others who
are low vision that I know include being sleepy or up all night or on
drugs. I feel it is better to acknowledge my disability vs having them make
assumptions.

I was hoping to casually find a way to include it in my introduction (30
second speech).

I consulted with someone at ASU who was reviewing my resume and she asked
two HR recruiters and they said absolutely do not mention it in
conversation or indicate it on my resume.

I believe my resume and 4.0 GPA should show the person at the career fair
that my disability does not have a negative affect on my ability in
computer science.

What are your thoughts?

Thank You
Suzanne