[nabs-l] Studying abroad: tips and tricks.

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 17:41:57 UTC 2014

Good morning, Kaiti,

You lucky duck, you!

I don't think for all the reasons you stated that you will have
problems being hurt, or robbed. your experience in Jamaica will be
memerable and it is not for those reasons.

A few years ago, I met this Jamaican guy in downtown Denver and fell
in love with patois. Unfortunately, I lost track of Edwin, but at the
Denver main library I checked out all this print material which I
scanned, and read, myself. Yes, Christianaty is definitely a
structural presence of a Jamaican identity and, being that it is so
structural, unlike ornamental Christians you might find here, I don't
think you'll encounter too much of the things you named about
previous experience with Christians. But then, you might be intrigued
by presences of Mama Afrika you might see within culture, and
tradition, if not to say spirituality?
Personally, something that has always intrigued me is how
Christianity as well as other influences are blended with old Afrikan
presences to form West Indian culture. You might wanna read about the
history of the Jamaican experience to better place your own
experiences and other findings into a certain context? Personally, I
really get off on knowing a historical context, and how my findings
of a group is influenced by history, and culture.

I would love to be treated via a 2nd hand, of your Jamaican
experiences! would love to hear of how blind people are regarded
within such a society. Will you write to me if you find time/resources?
call: 408-209-3239