[nabs-l] Purchasing Braille Displays VS. Braille Note taking Devices

Jordyn Castor jordyn2493 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 01:04:30 UTC 2015

Hey All,

I hope you are all doing well.

I have been using a PAC Mate to take notes, read books, and write math equations in Braille for seven years. Recently, my PAC Mate has just stopped working. I realize PAC Mate devices are super old, so rather than getting it fixed, I am looking for either a new Braille Notetaker, or a Braille Display. I am a very tech savvy person, but am also one of those people who likes to stick to what they know and what works, which explains my use of ancient technology for years and years. :) So, as students and/or young college grads with your first full time job offer, what are your thoughts on purchasing Braille Displays VS. Braille Notetakers? I love the portability and convenience of having a notetaker, as you can just turn it on and take notes in less than thirty seconds. The disadvantages  for me to having a Braille display and a laptop or mobile device are the time required to pair the two devices, as well as the varying amounts of Braille support in the different screen readers and operating systems. However, I realize that laptop/mobile devices are more widely used and compatible with more software/hardware than what comes builtin to most notetakers. Just my current thoughts... lol

I am thinking of either going with the VarioUltra, or the BrailleSense U2. Anyone who has and/or has used these devices, your opinions of them would be fantastic, and anyone who has any general advice to give me, that would be great as well.

Thanks,
Jordyn