[nabs-l] Blind comedians

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 02:25:29 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I recently posted that I have been working on a disability
organization on my college campus.  We had our first brainstorm
meeting this past week and came up with some great ideas, one of which
is a comedy night where we would charge a small fee for admission.
One of the girls in the club says she could try her hand at some stand
up and jokes about deaf people (as she is deaf herself), and I would
also be willing to form some stand up jokes (provided that my
roommates aren't the only people who think I'm hilarious).

My faculty adviser and I were talking about that idea and she said,
"It's too bad you can't get Josh Blue."  He won the 4th season of Last
Comic Standing and has Cerebral Palsy.  Apparently she had tried to
get him to the school for a disability services staff function but he
books for $10,000 for a 2 hour gig.  She looked him up anyway and
found he was going to be at the local comedy club this weekend.  She
and I ended up going and I had an opportunity to meet him after the
show.  It was pretty awesome.

Me: "Can we get a picture?  Is that Kosher?"
Josh Blue:  "It's kosher but I don't know how you'll be able to see it."
Me: "I can see a bit, and maybe it will get better in the future with
bionic eyes and such.  Technology is great."

So I can officially say I've bantered with a comedian.  He also said
if the comedy night fundraiser works out to call his people and we
could work something out.  I'm so excited and am now really invested
in researching comedians with disabilities to make this work.  It
would be a nice way to break the ice for us, and it also would be a
nice fundraiser for future projects.  Does anyone know of any other
comedians who are good?  They do not necessarily have to be blind, but
as there seem to be more and more blind students coming to my campus
there will be more canes around that people are used to.

--
Kaiti