[nabs-l] Washington seminar

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:34:12 UTC 2015

I attended my first Washington seminar this year. I really enjoyed it. As a student, you can attend the meeting of the national Association of blind students that occurs the day before the legislative activity start. You will work with the team of people from your state affiliate, and go to meetings with your national senators and representatives. Atlees meetings, you will discuss the legislative agenda of the national Federation of the blind. This agenda usually includes two or three issues that are very relevant to blind people and that are extremely important. You will talk about why those issues are important, and usually, you will try to convince that representative to cosponsor one of the bills. This can seem very intimidating, but I promise you, it isn't. You can take whatever role you want to in the meetings, and you do not have to do a lot of talking. It is important, however, to remain focused and attentive during the meetings. I hope this helps you get a little bit of a better understanding, and hopefully somebody else can do a better job of explaining it than I did.

Sent from my iPad