[nabs-l] Five reasons why college is better than high school!

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 13:03:03 UTC 2015

Hi Arielle,

Thank you very much for posting your reasons here, I think these
will really help! As you probably know, I just graduated from
high school last June, and will be headed to college in the
spring (I will be doing blindness training starting next month,
just like Joe suggested).
I want to clarify something, though, you said that language
classes meet every day while other classes only meet a couple
times a week.  I'm actually majoring in foreign languages, so
would that mean that I would have to go to class every day?
Wow, these points that you made that you can make your own
schedule and not having people bother you are definitely strong
advantages of college  over high school.  I know this from my
personal experience.  As you just mentioned, in high school, my
days always consisted of 6 hours in which to work, and I couldn't
choose my own classes; they were mandatory for all students to
take.  I've also had exactly the same experience you had with
other kids pushing each other around and things like that.  I got
tripped, and even got my cane knocked of my hand by someone,
sometimes even so far away that someone else had to retreave it
and give it back to me.  I'm therefore really glad that people
don't often do that in college.

I do agree with Joe though, and frankly I have heard so many
stories of kids (not necessarily blind students) who are
struggling in college, fail to keep up with the work, and
eventually drop out.  Therefore, I'm also glad that I'm getting
blindness training beforehand, since I'll most likely learn ways
in which to succeed in college.

Thanks for posting your reasons again, and happy almost weekend
everyone.

Sami