[nabs-l] Sanitizing canes for use in hospitals

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:08:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm hoping to work in a hospital for my job, and recently was there to
visit an ill relative.  It occured to me while I was putting on gloves
and a gown that in some situations I will need to clean my cane as
well.  Music therapists do work in isolated areas on occasion, and
also may work in preop or postop.  In this case, I was visiting
someone who had an infection that could be contageous.  The idea of
washing my hands and scrubbing up, but not sanitizing my cane, then
washing up afterwards and touching the cane again kind of grossed me
out.  Not only could it track in germs from the outside to the sick
person in the room, but it also could transfer anything the person has
back to me.

I already do sanitize my cane because I work a lot with kids and/or
elderly people, but in this situation Lysol wipes won't always be
sufficient.  Has anyone had experience with this?  I'm just asking
around and will try the human services division as well.  I've also
asked an Orientation and Mobility Speciailist if he's ever seen this
done.

Thanks,

--
Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton-Music Therapy

"You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back!"