[nabs-l] SSI while in college

Ashley R. Burke burke.ashley1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 17:46:19 UTC 2015

Hey Kevin
	Just so you know I am a credentialed benefits and work incentives
practitioner along with the fact that I have received ssi while in
college.  Which means the info I am giving you is based on
professional knolidge and personal experience.  If you like I can
provide you with the social security specific sections in their
program operations manual to back up what I am telling you.  You can
put your school address on your SSA record, but that is not going to
help you receive more, because they know you are permanently living at
your parents.  So it wouldn’t be considered permanent it would be a
tempary address.  The only way that would work is if you got an
apartment off campus and lived there all year round.  Now you would
have to live alone to get the full federal benefit rate, which is 733
this year.  I am not sure what state your living in, but some states
also have a state supplement, which is more if you live alone.  You
could increase your SSI check if you were paying your parents some of
the house hold expenses (e.g. rent utilities, etc.,) but you would
need to have this in righting.  Basically they would have to treat you
like you’re a real tenant not their child.  If you did this then you
would get more money from SSA, and you wouldn’t necessarily have to
give it to your parents, but obviously you don’t tell SSA that.  The
reason they are giving you less is because  of a concept called
deeming, which means you have access to their money, now I know you
don’t but that is how they view it; resulting in them paying you less.
I hope this has been helpful, and if you need clarification or have
any more questions please don’t hesitate to send me an e-mail.
Ashley R. burke
Burke.ashley1 at gmail.com