[nabs-l] Blackboard and MyMathLab

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 17 02:33:20 UTC 2015

Hello,

I used blackboard a lot as well.
I heard my math lab is better now, but when I needed it as a sophmore, it
was not accessible; jaws just said blank on every screen within my math lab.

For blackboard, I've found it mostly usable. I recommend finding out which
folder your professor will post the assignments in.
Jaws or any screen reader should read you the links. The links are folders
and when you enter on them, they lead you to more links to the instructions
or files which you download to read the instructions or other files for your
assignments or lectures. Many instructors will post their powerpoint
lectures on Blackboard which is helpful. Many instructors will also post any
assignments they will go over on blackboard ahead of time.
This is helpful for everyone, but especially us because we can download and
read the handout ahead of time before class.
Obviously, I cannot read the lcd projector or hard copy handout, so reading
the document ahead of time greatly enhanced my preparedness for class or you
could even save the file on your notetaker or flash drive and put it in your
notetaker or tablet if you have one and carry the files to class.
Finding out where the files are will help. If the instructor does not tell
the class, ask for instructions.
For instance, the professor may have a file called essay 1. It might be
under course documents or assignments.
It may be down the page under some heading, so ask them so you know what to
look for.

I had the same experience as Bryan. Jaws had trouble with the discussion
boards.
I've had challenges reading grades, too, as it’s a table. If you cannot read
the grades, just ask the professor your grades and write them down.

The latest version of blackboard seemed to make the submit links accessible
with jaws, but if it is not on your end, you can work out something else
like emailing the instructor your assignments.
The submission areas are actually buttons. you upload a file to the site.
then you look for the submit button.

HTH,
Ashley