[nabs-l] Sanitizing canes for use in hospitals

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 23 23:36:33 UTC 2015

Hello Kaiti,

Thank you for providing this explanation of how music therapy is beneficial
in the pre-op and post-op settings. I can definitely understand how music
therapy can be useful in the pre-op setting, but I fail to understand how it
is useful in the post-op setting. If most people are like me, any additional
noise while waking up from surgery would not be welcomed regardless of how
soothing it may be. If you are interested in working with people after
surgery, I would also encourage you to consider working in a rehabilitation
facility or in patients homes after they are released from the hospital as
this is where the real recovery from surgery generally takes place.

Here is a brief description of my experience in a hospital setting. In 2011
I was seriously injured in an accident, and I spent a week in a hospital out
of state before I was allowed to come back home. Since my accident, I have
had two different out-patient orthopedic surgeries performed in 2013 and
2014. The hospital where I live is a simple bus ride, and I do my best to
visit people I know when they are in the hospital. My most recent visit was
to visit someone who received an in- patient orthopedic surgery about three
months ago.

I also have experience visiting a cancer patient during various
hospitalizations between 2008 and 2013. During the summer of 2013, I would
visit this person every other day until the patient was transferred to a
hospital that was further away. The level of care this person received
ranged from a simple private room for neutropenic patients with stable
conditions to one of the highest levels of the intensive care unit at a
major notable university hospital.

While there was always some kind of protocol I had to follow when visiting
this individual, these protocols  never included doing anything with my
cane. However, after reading your post, I can understand how washing or
sterilizing my cane would have been helpful for this situation, and I will
do my best to remember this when visiting hospital patients with compromised
immune systems in the future. Hopefully I have provided you with enough
information regarding my experience in a hospital setting without annoying
everyone else on the email list. Again, I would be more than happy to
explain my experience in more detail privately if you feel this would be
helpful for you as a music therapist interested in working in a hospital
setting.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth