[nabs-l] Building Emergency Captain

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 00:17:36 UTC 2015

Greetings fellow students.

I was thinking that I would like to become the Emergency Captain for the building I have most of my classes in.  Perhaps not this year as I am new to campus but perhaps next year after I have had time to learn where all the exits and other important features are located.  While discussing this with a sighted friend of mine she brought up several good questions I did not have ready answers for, so I thought I would ask members of this list to help me with this.

1. In case of a fire how could you tell if flames were imminent? - I thought by heat but I don't think heat alone would be sufficient.

2. How would you be able to quickly assess the level of personal injury?

3 Would you be able to know if someone is unconscious and in need of assistance? - Seriously, if someone was unconscious how would you know that they were in the room?

4. - Basically all these questions add up to asking - would you actually be able to do the job?

I am nearly completely blind with no detail left so I would not be able to see if there was a person in a room or not.

Other concerns might also include, - How would you deal with a situation involving a dangerous person on campus posing a risk to other students?

And please help me think of any other concerns that might come up.  I would like to have thought out and reasonable answers before putting in my request.

Be Well,
Ben