[nabs-l] Emergency Captain

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:06:32 UTC 2015

Ben,

I appreciate your interest in the blindness perspective for your question.
Yet, I think it would make more sense to engage the people responsible for
selecting captains. That may sound counterintuitive. Why would you ask
questions of the people you are attempting to impress with confidence? Yet
they would be more familiar with the exact guidelines required of their
emergency captains. You might very well be stressing out over expectations
they may not even have. I highly doubt the captain is singularly responsible
for the safety and security of a whole building. There are typically people
assigned to specific areas of responsibility, and you might be the perfect
candidate to help direct these monitors through their tasks. It seems to me
you are seeking permission to be a captain, and no one here is going to
grant you that permission. You want it or you don't. The people at your
school will either choose you or they won't, but here's the thing, even if
you aren't selected, an emergency captain is merely a formality. If the
substance ever hits the fan, what's to stop you from getting in there and
pitching in whatever way would be most useful? If you believe you have the
calm temperament to remain steady under pressure, get in there and help.
I'll tell you what I've told other blind people regarding gun ownership: If
you aren't willing to commit to killing, there's no sense in you carrying a
gun. To put it in context, if you aren't willing to risk your life to help
another, don't bother applying. Get comfortable with that basic
understanding, and you'll make a fine emergency captain whether the powers
that be acknowledge it or not.

Joe

--
Musings of a Work in Progress: