[nabs-l] taking a college class for no credit

Hannah Chadwick sparklylicious at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 16:00:06 UTC 2015

Vejas,
One potential problem with not enrolling in a class could be that
it may be difficult to get accommodations.  If you're only
auditting, the professor or the disability student services may
not be as willing to accommodate you.  Based on your email, you
are looking to gain experience in advocating for your
accommodations as well as insight to test taking in college.
Personally, I think that these experiences are learned overtime
and they definitely vary from class to class.  Every course has
different expectations, different ways to test the students'
knowledge, and the accommodations you would need for that class
may be different as well.  With all this in mind, I think it
would be hard to just take one or two classes and have your
expectations met.  This is not to say that it wouldn't be a good
idea to get some college experience before attending.
You could also find some blind students or recent graduates from
the college you would be ajtending to ask how the accommodations
worked out for them, and the classes they took that worked out
well for them.  If you know your major already, you could do
further research.  There are lots of resources to help you
navigate college.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Best, Hannah