[nabs-l] Questions Regarding Textbooks on Vital Source

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:40:00 UTC 2015

Hello All,

It has been a couple of semesters since I last took a college course at my
local community college. After doing some research regarding my textbooks
for next semester, I see that one of them is available on Vital Source. As I
understand it, Vital Source recently bought out Course Smart, and claims to
provide electronic textbooks in an accessible format.

I have never used Course Smart or Vital Source before, and I am wondering
how accessible and user friendly the Vital Source platform might be in terms
of accessing my textbook. Is it easy to navigate the user platform to read
textbooks using JAWS on a Windows based computer? Are you able to read
rather smoothly from the beginning of a chapter or section to the end of the
chapter or section when reading through the textbook? Can you use the normal
JAWS commands to read through the textbook by paragraph, sentence, word, or
character when reading through the textbook? Is it easy to copy and paste
the text in a Word document if for some reason I cannot read through the
text, or simply want to create my own notes outside of the platform
features?

Any comments or feedback on using Vital Source for obtaining textbooks would
be greatly appreciated. I would probably use the platform on my Windows
based computer if this helps you when providing feedback. However, any
feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth