[nabs-l] Web Sites

Cullen G gallagher123123 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 23:59:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

At National Convention, A resolution was passed regarding the accessibility of Greyhound. I am pasting it below.

Resolution 2015-25
Regarding Discriminatory Practices of Greyhound Lines Inc.

WHEREAS, the lack of access to public transportation is one of the greatest barriers preventing blind people from living the lives they want and from full participation in all aspects of community life; and

WHEREAS, according to Greyhound Lines Inc., it is the largest intercity bus transportation provider, serving more than 3,800 destinations in North America and 18 million passengers each year; and

WHEREAS, Greyhound should serve as a valuable asset to blind travelers but fails to do so because of its policies and practices that create barriers to using its services; and

WHEREAS, Greyhound’s website is generally inaccessible to blind passengers who use screen-access software to acquire information from desktop or mobile operating systems; and

WHEREAS, field labels for graphical icons are rarely present, making it all but impossible for blind people to retrieve current and frequently updated information posted on this website; and

WHEREAS, the Greyhound (US) app for iOS is not at all accessible with Apple’s VoiceOver, the gesture-based screen reader that has been developed for blind users; and

WHEREAS, buying a ticket online or through a phone app is now an impossible task for most blind passengers; and

WHEREAS, blind passengers, unlike their sighted peers, are denied the time-saving convenience of presenting a printed ticket at boarding and are forced to work with a ticket agent at the station; and

WHEREAS, fares from Greyhound’s automated phone booking system are $10 higher than fares from the inaccessible online booking system, and this $10 charge is not waived for blind passengers; and

WHEREAS, its website touts Greyhound’s services for persons with disabilities, yet fails even to mention nonvisual access to websites and apps: Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind in Convention assembled this ninth day of July, 2015, in the City of Orlando, Florida, that this organization demand that Greyhound Lines Inc. immediately end its discriminatory practices by making all of its online and mobile services accessible to blind passengers who use screen-access technology.

Hope this helps.
Cullen