[nabs-l] Financial Aid and SSI

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 29 23:53:59 UTC 2015

Vejas,

Yes you have to fill it out. Yes, the info you heard about family income is
right.
Since you are young and still a dependent on your family income, financial
assistance is definitely determined on your family income. True, you will
have a little of your own income from SSI, but your family is still
supporting you and paying for you to live with them.
When you become totally financially independent with your own housing and
bills to pay, your parents will not have you as a dependent so their income
then will not be a factor.
Not only is income a factor, but your family assets are as well; this means
things like their savings and investments.
You and someone at home should fill out the form together because this is
confidential information, and they are the best ones to not only know your
family income and assets, but also keep your writing on the form
confidential.

I would also think if you have questions on what to put on the form that
your college financial aid office might be of help.

VR will probably pay for your school so you may not even need financial aid,
and maybe your parents can chip in some too.

Good luck.

Ashley