[nabs-l] University Libraries

Michael D Ausbun mausbun at unr.edu
Fri Feb 6 23:54:36 UTC 2015

Hello All:
	Out of curiosity, what are your experiences dealing with the University Libraries? According to some of our librarians, at the University of Nevada, Reno, necessary accommodations ought to be made, in order to allow equal access to all books contained in the libraries. Thus, they believe they ought to be able to scan and process or receive already accessible formats of any given book. On the other hand, some librarians suggested that it is impossible, because it is a violation of copyright laws (which is technically true).
	I am just curious, because in order to complete my thesis research, I need access to a book, which is not on Bookshare and I would rather not buy it, in the instance that the University already owns it.
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun

Pledge, Kappa Sigma
Cofounder, University of Nevada, Reno Philosophy Club
Secretary, Nevada Association of Blind Students
Member, Honors College of the University of Nevada, Reno
Member, Speech and Debate at the University of Nevada, Reno