[nabs-l] University Libraries

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 21:38:02 UTC 2015

Hi all (specifically Derek since he seems particularly knowledgeable
about this).

I've never had any problems getting library materials scanned for me,
even when using inter-library loan.  The databases at my school are
not jaws-friendly at all, so the DS office has usually intervened.

My question to add to Michaels is this:  I have a class where the
teacher inadvertently chose a textbook that is extremely expensive.
She has not taught the class in several years, and found this
psychology book with the updated DSMV invormation and loved it.
However, when she found out that it was almost $300 she said she would
have never assigned it had she known the price, and so she stuck a
copy of the book in the university library on reserve for students to
use so they wouldn't need to buy it (with the rule being that the book
could not leave the library).

Now, being a diligent blind student, I submitted my alternative format
request for the book as soon as the teacher gave me the ISBN and other
information.  The disability office did all the scanning and editing,
but I still have not shown them proof of purchase because I have not
shelled out the $300 for the book.  Should I just show them the
library copy and explain what happened or do I really need to buy the
book even though the rest of my class doesn't have to?

Thanks,

Kaiti