[nabs-l] Problems with grocery shopping

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:28:51 UTC 2015

Hi Kaiti,
As I read your post I was smiling a bit, not because your story is
happy or fun, but because I have had the exact same experiences at
multiple grocery stores. I had one gentleman take about fifteen
minutes to unsuccessfully find me a can of creamed corn because he was
looking at the pictures instead of reading the labels on the cans. A
customer finally pointed out the right can to us. It is incredibly
frustrating to be at the mercy of someone who for whatever reason is
not able to efficiently provide the access you need, especially for
somebody like me who doesn't have enough vision to decipher if we are
moving toward green vegetables. The problem is compounded for me
because I have to shop for two people, myself and my husband who is
very particular about his brands and getting the best value possible
on everything.
My husband and I have come up with three solutions that are all good
in various combinations. One is to shop online, if you have a store
near you with delivery or a service like InstaCart or Amazon Fresh. I
have had very positive experiences with delivery. There is some added
expense, but in some cases it can be comparable to a cab ride home
from the store. The second option is to bring a trusted reader with
you and then compensate that person either financially or in some
other way like making them a meal or helping them with schoolwork.
This is my favorite option if you can find a good person and either
afford the expense or find another good way to compensate them. The
bonus is that after a while this person will learn what you like to
buy and you can kind of relax and chat with them while they help you
shop. The third arrangement I have with my husband, if my readers
aren't available and we don't feel like shopping online, is that he
goes to the store an extra week and I prepare an extra meal that week
to compensate him for the extra shopping. He is sighted, and a very
efficient grocery shopper, so doesn't have the aforementioned issues.
If you have a roommate who doesn't like to cook or do laundry, you
could perhaps make an arrangement to have them shop for you and take
on their share of other domestic responsibilities. Between these three
alternative methods, I have basically given up on in-store shopping
assistants and found I can get what I need with minimal aggravation. I
hope at least one of these methods will work for you. I agree that
it's great for the stores to employ people with intellectual
disabilities, but it seems like all employees (not just disabled ones)
should have to pass some kind of customer service test before being
dispatched to work directly with customers. Best of luck!
Arielle