[nabs-l] University Libraries

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 23:25:03 UTC 2015

The way my school sees it, research is an assignment which is due as
part of class work.  So, you should have access to library materials
you need in order to do your research.  Typically I do have to be more
organized as far as knowing my topic so I can request the
inter-library loan in advance to allow vor conversion time as well,
and sometimes when the pdf file comes back I can convert it using robo
braille, but the student workers in the DS office will convert
anything I still need and will usually get it to me within a few days.

My school climate may be different.  From what I can tell not a lot of
people seem to need in depth file conversions.  I just get them back
as text files, which I understand is a bit easier for the OLR (office
of learning resources) to do than word or other files that involve
formatting pictures and such.  I've thankfully never had to use human
readers to access the material, and if I can't do it independently I
usually work with my professors to find alternatives.  Sometimes
they'll even know of an article in a journal in their office or on
their computer and send it to me as a suggestion in an accessible
format.

Kaiti