[nabs-l] Bar code readers

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:16:55 UTC 2015

Hi Janice,

I highly recommend the bar code scanner sold by A T Guys. This scanner
comes with the limitation of requiring the internet and connectivity
to a computer. I would be wasting time if I scanned a million things
at the grocery store instead of pursuing human assistance, so it has
worked very well for me for identifying food at home. Not only will
the scanner identify food, but it links to Directions For Me which is
a database containing a ton of foods, favoring large scale brands, and
includes directions, ingredients, and nutrition information. Out of
all of the A T tools I have received or purchased, I use the bar code
scanner absolutely the most out of any tool that I do not rely on to
keep my job. It is a worthwhile investment for anyone to make.

The A T Guys scanner is only $150. There is another one which does not
require the internet and is hand-held. This device is considerably
more expensive $1300 or so.

There are a few iPhone apps, such as Digit-eyes that people have
achieved some level of success with. Since these apps rely on a camera
rather than a laser, you must have the bar code exactly in the camera
view for it to be captured. This has been very difficult as a totally
blind person and has not given me enough benefit to prefer it even
though it is cheaper. Further, several iPhone bar code apps not only
use the camera to read the bar code, but do not snap a picture
automatically when the bar code is in view. the extra task of taking a
quality picture as a totally blind person again has not provided me
enough benefit to continue trying.

Just my thoughts on the solutions I have tried.

Cindy