[nabs-l] Has anybody skied before?

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 19:59:35 UTC 2015

Hi Sami,

I go skiing about once a year, and have been doing so since I was little. It's
quite doable as a blind person. Lets first start off by saying skiing is to
sledding like a gold fish is to a shark. They both swim in water, but the
similarities stop there.

In skiing, the slope is significantly larger than the hills you go sledding
on. You have to take a lift to the top of the hill, navigate to the start of
the trail, ski down the hill and avoid all the trees and other people. The
trails are often narrow and windy, and you have to ski in a serpentine line
to keep from building up uncontrollable speed.

You may be thinking, how a blind person can do this, well, it's simple. Many
mountains offer an adaptive skiing program. In this program, they will pare
you with a guide who will be in constant communication with you, and follow
behind you and tell you when to turn, stop, ETC.

I like the Vermont adaptive program myself, and have gone with this program
for years. Good luck with this new winter sport.

Mark