[nabs-l] Has anybody skied before?

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:38:05 UTC 2015

Hi Sami, I've been skiing every week at my local hill for the
last fifteen years or so.  It's totally doable as a blind person
as long as you have a guide, but it's really not otherwise.  The
problem with having your family teach you isn't the teaching part
(though many people both blind and sighted do get ski lessons and
learn that way unless their family is really good at it), but
that if your parents aren't really good skiers they won't be able
to take enough attention off their own skiing to guide you.  To
ski you have to be able to weave around all the other people
while going fast including when other people randomly fall, cut
in front of you, etc. not to mention avoiding trees, lift towers,
snowmobiles, etc.  You can sometimes here the other people moving
around you well enough to avoid them, but you won't be able to
hear the person laying on the snow in front of you because they
fell a while ago, and when it gets windy and you have to put a
hat over your ears, even hearing the moving people gets pretty
much impossible.  There are lots of blind ski programs though, so
I suggest you find one of those.  Sometimes you have to fight
with them a bit because they often consist of very well meaning
sighted people who don't really believe that blind people can do
much of anything, but with a bit of pacience and assertiveness
you can get them to do things that are helpful while still
recognizing that you're capable of doing things yourself.

Hope this helps,
Karl