[nabs-l] NFB national convention scholarship

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:45:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

I think that asking previous winners to share their essays can be
affective. I found that all essays I read were different, but they did
help me to narrow down some experiences that I wanted to include. I
would suggest that if you know previous winners personally to reach
out to them personally. I did this and reiterated that I would not
share their work but was just using it for reference to learn what a
successful essay reads like. If you do not know any previous
scholarship winners, reach out to your affiliate president; you will
be asking them for a letter of recommendation anyway, so establishing
the connection early if you haven't already is always a good idea.
Since they are the affiliate president, they likely know former
winners. You can also reach out to anyone on the committee. Patti
Chang is the chair person, and I am serving on the committee this year
as well. Finally, I know that numerous student divisions are hosting
scholarship conference calls facilitated by an committee member, so
keep an eye out for those announcements to get an opportunity to ask a
committee member your questions directly.

Cindy

--
Cindy Bennett
1st Year Ph.D. Student, University of Washington

Treasurer of the Greater Seattle Chapter and of the National
Federation of the Blind of Washington
Affiliates of the National Federation of the Blind

clb5590 at gmail.com