[nabs-l] Downloading Images Nonvisually

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:52:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

I use JAWS and mostly IE and Firefox. Do any of you have strategies
for downloading images that appear as search results nonvisually? I
always verify whether the image is oriented and sized correctly, but
one thing I would like to do is to download a few images of generic
thing that I am looking for like the beach for instance, and to then
get someone's assistance picking the best one. But I am often unable
to focus on the photo to save it. When I attempt to save the photo, it
is an html file, so some rendition of the web page, and it won't
operate like a photo when I attempt to insert it into a presentation.

What are your strategies for obtaining and keeping track of photos nonvisually.

Before iOS 6, the custom label feature of VO allowed one to make
custom labels of photos. When this feature went away, I was super
disappointed as about 100 of my photos with descriptive custom labels
disappeared and were replaced with unhelpful descriptors only
including the date and time. If I save photos on my computer, I save
them with descriptive file names and ask people to descriptively label
photos that they send me.

But sometimes, I just need a generic image quickly and it has been
very frustrating attempting to navigate Google images and to download
a few images to run by a reader. I know I could just have my reader do
this, but I right click and download other things online and am
curious if there are any particular strategies for focusing on a photo
in such a way that I can download it similarly to other types of
files.

Thanks,

--
Cindy Bennett
1st Year Ph.D. Student, University of Washington

Treasurer of the Greater Seattle Chapter and of the National
Federation of the Blind of Washington
Affiliates of the National Federation of the Blind

clb5590 at gmail.com