[nabs-l] MicroSoft Word question: Spelling and Grammar check

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:20:24 UTC 2015

Hi All, my experience with grammar check is that it tends to be
very stupid and not particularly good at figuring out what you're
trying to say.  Homophones are a problem for me as well--even
though I intellectually know how to use them correctly, I often
type the wrong one.  The best thing I've found to do is have
someone else look at my papers if they're long and important,
like a term paper.  That's a good idea anyway because for any
writer what you write makes sense to you but may make less sense
to your audience.  As far as style guides go, I would recommend
the Turabian manuel, which is also available on Bookshare.  The
long name is _A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses,
and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers_ by
Kate Turabian.  It has a very good grammar section, an excellent
overview of how to write research papers, and it gives you the
style guide for both kinds of Chicago citations, which is used by
almost everyone in higher level academia (sometimes slightly
modified for certain disciplines) except for psychology and
sociology (who use APA) and literary criticism (which uses MLA).

Best,
Karl