[nabs-l] Accessibility in a college classroom

Amber Kraft amber.r.kraft at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 04:59:05 UTC 2015

Hello,
   My name is Amber and as this is the first week of my new classes I
have ran in to a few problems and I am not sure what to do. I have
signed up for a Intro to Psychology on-campus class and after signing
up for this class along with the rest of my classes I set up a meeting
to meet with the disability cordanater for my school along with all of
my new instructers. Before getting to the meeting I received an email
from the disability cordanater expressing the psychology instructors
concerns for me being able to complete this class. She explained that
there are many videos and powerpoints for the on-campus class and
suggested that I take this class online as she would not have the time
to make the videos or the powerpoints accessible for me.
After meeting with the disability cordanater and talking to her a
little more about my options for this class it it was agreed that I
would be able to make the powerpoints accessible myself as long as
they are mostly text and I could have someone attend class with me to
explain any videos we may watch in class or explain any pictures on
the powerpoints that would need to be described. Also after talking
with the disability cordanater about this class it was explained to me
that the instructor would not be able to make the accomadations that I
needed because in one of her other classes she is teaching she has
another student who is blind that she has to make accomadations or and
will not have the time to make the accomadations for both of us.
after meeting with the disability cordanater she had told me to send
an email to my instructor and explain to her what we have come up with
to make the class accessible for me and to make sure that it is ok
with her that someone attends class with me as some instructors will
not allow that. I did send the instructor an email explaining what the
disability cordanater and I talked about and asked if it would be ok
with her that someone attends class with me. When sending this email I
did CC the disability cordanater on the email as well. Well tomorrow
is going to be my first day of this class and I am not sure what to do
as I have not received an email back from the instructor. So I am
wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do at this point?

Thank you
Amber Kraft