[nabs-l] Accessibility in a college classroom

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 17:05:55 UTC 2015

Amber,

Good for you for your advocacy up front.
This situation is disturbing. I had a similar situation but not with
psychology. I was in an english lit class. And, just like your situation,
the professor insists he cannot make the class accessible; said he showed
videos of the stories we read and gave pop quizzes. Then just like your
situation, he suggests I take the class online. I could not believe it.
While I agreed with him that he raised valid concerns about barriers, I
offered to talk in person or via phone as email was not working well as we
kept going back and forth. Finally, he went to the dss coordinator about his
concerns and she called me. I was not going to deal with an adversarial
situation and discuss it with the dss cordinator since he went behind my
back doing this. So, I dropped the class.

I was not able to take marketing either due to a professor's visual style
with videos and an online video game.

Its too bad when professors have an attitude of inflexibility. I just say
this because you ought to know you are not alone, and I suspect with the
trend of more multimedia in classes, this is only getting worse.

Regarding your situation, I echo what others said.
Be firm but polite. It is illegal for them to barr you from class and bully
you into online classes to make it easier for them. Besides as Arielle said,
online classes  may not be too accessible either as they use lots of
multimedia and sometimes live discussions. I do not know if that is
accessible as I have not tried it. But it would not surprise me if
blackboard collaborate is not accessible.

I suggest going to class and taking notes and participating best you can.
Your professor should have come to you with concerns, not the dss
coordinator!

I cannot believe the school is allowing the professor to decide if you can
have a reader in class.
That ought to be an accomodation, period, not something the professor can
deny you simply because he is uncomfortable with it.

He may simply not have emailed you back because he is busy.
So go to class with an open mind. Afterwards, set up a meeting with the
professor.

Explain to the professor how you do the class like how you take notes
For powerpoints, as other said, often you can get what is on them by
listening and reading your text.
Powerpoints are meant to be an outline  of content anyway, not filled with
text.
You can access them by either downloading them from blackboard or whatever
your school uses for their online platform, if the professor uses it.
If not, have the professor email you powerpoints before class.
You can read the text with jaws, and have someone describe any charts or
pictures. A reader the school gives you can do it, or the professor himself
during office hours.
But, charts may not even be  necessary if its described in your text with
words.
Oh, and if the powerpoint is too big for email, give the professor a USB
drive or cd rom.
Ask him  to place the powerpoints for several classes on it. then in two
weeks or so, do it again.

Do not let him say he does not have time due to another blind student. That
is hogwash because most of our accomodations are easy to honor if the
professor plans ahead of time.
Planning your lessons and lectures is something a good professor ought to do
anyway!
Two of my accomodations are access to slides and alternate form of handouts.
Since many professors post to blackboard anyway, they do not need to make a
special accomodation for me.
In fact, most students would benefit from seeing the slides ahead of class
anyway!
In other words, what I'm saying, is the professor ought to plan ahead anyway
and be accomodating to all student needs, not just yours.
I simply do not buy the excuse about their time.
Is he a full time professor?
If so, he is paid for office hours and that includes prep time.
Adjuncts are not paid for extra time, but any good adjunct should still make
time for accomodations.

So, powerpoints are not a big obstacle in my experience.

Regarding videos, I  have not found a good solution.
I simply ask a classmate to describe a little bit and learn what I can with
the narration on the video.

I took several psychology classes, btw, and some had videos. Most did not.
I generally found videos for those classes to be supplemental though. So
they complemented the lecture, not gave you information
you needed to know.

Once we have more information on how he teaches including more about the
videos, we might be able to offer more suggestions.
If videos are more vital to the class, you might want to find an
accomodation. If thhey are simply supplemental to reinforce lectures,, then
you may not need to worry so much.

The key is to go to class and be yourself. Then meet the professor one on
one and see what you can work out.

HTH,
Ashley