[nabs-l] Paying to be denied in the college classroom

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 17:43:18 UTC 2015

Hello Bridget,

I thought you are an education major.
Are you studying to teach english?
Where are you in school? I've seen you here a long time, so I guess you
might be a senior or junior.

I feel your pain. If we have support from the professor and appropriate
accomodations and technology, we can get through anything as you said.
But, in my liberal arts education, barriers arose a lot from accessible
technology to textbooks to professor's attitudes.

I also changed my major from elementary education to a general liberal arts
degree.
I had other reasons to change, like the work load and that language and
learning theories were complex,
but believe me, the attitudes of my advisor and dss coordinator  and my own
insecurities played a role too.

The good news is I can still teach if I want to. I can go back to grad
school and get it without worrying about general ed requirements.
I can simply focus on education then and I might even study special ed for
either blind students or learning disabled.
I'm more mature now and determined then years ago when I was at marymount
university anyway.

I looked for teachers who were low vision or blind and found none.
I had struggles observing classrooms, something I needed for class.

I feel that my program of study I made up combining two fields of study for
a liberal arts degree was the right decision  because I have a broad base of
knowledge to get a job, something that is very hard to do for entry level
work.
I studied psychology and communication. I have many transferable skills to
get a job in something like public relations, outreach, program
coordination, or clerical support.
I can also tutor and I believe the few education classes I have coupled with
my background in human development make me a good potential tutor. I know
about stages of growth and development from child and adolescent psychology
and disorders from abnormal psychology.
So my degree was hard earned and worth it.

Still, I  cannot help wondering what it would have been like if my school
supported me and my parents too.
Having an elementary ed background helps in teaching blind students which
was my original plan: ed undergrad major, and graduate course work in
special ed.
Would I have stayed and entered the ed program? Would I have had the
discipline to stick with it? Would my cooperating teachers been helpful?
I do not know.

On the bright side, those of us on list either have undergrad degrees or are
working toward it.
We can shape the future. Proving ourselves is hard work, but blazing trails
will make it easier for future students.

Its hard not to give up, but giving up means society wins. Society needs to
accept us in the classrooms, in the front offices of corporations, and in
the positions to impact change.
Yes times have changed, and we should be accepted. I'm also tired of feeling
I do not belong in a class because of my legal blindness.
Depending on the class, I either drop It or work through it.
Who is paying?
Well, you are paying the professor's salary if you stay in class.
This is all the more reason to give you accomodations.

I'm in a position to take electives now for personal growth and my resume
while seeking work.
Personally, I do not wish to pay for a class and get a half education. But
if I were in a program, I might have no choice except if another professor
taught the class.
So you bring up a good point. you
have to decide if its worth your money to be in a class with an adversarial
relationship. sometimes you have to, other times there are options like
taking it with another professor.

So in closing, I believe we need to change higher education.
Technology is more and more a barrier. So with that said, lets change
things.
lets pass the teach act!

Ashley