[nabs-l] Paying to be denied in the college classroom

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 04:49:55 UTC 2015

Hi Bridget and all,

I believe in the TEACH Act.  Passing it is an important step on the
road to equal access to technology.  But please, if you haven't, read
this month's Braille Monitor.  (And I'm not just saying that because I
have an article in it.)

Seriously, guys, there is a Q and A about the TEACH Act.  It will help
you to understand what the TEACH Act will and won't do for
universities.  I work for my university's adaptive computing and
technology center, so I am possibly more aware than mmost of all the
inaccessible technology we face as we enter the classroom.  Although
the TEACH Act will shift universities in the right direction by
motivating them to purchase and develop accessible tech, the venders,
creators, and designers are still responsible for making these
products.  The market will shift, but in many cases, there are simply
no fully accessible alternatives for these technologies.  Or we have
had to wait years for the software or programs to become accessible.

I have tested  video players and learning management systems, among
other programs, and I found none to be fully and consistently
accessible.  I suppose I should write a TEACH Act letter with all I
have seen in my job...  But my point in writing this part of my email
is for you to understand that the TEACH Act is only the beginning.

I hate to be the doom and gloom here, but I believe that solving the
inaccessible technology issue will not cause our discrimination in the
classroom to disappear.  These professors, who hold these attitudes
discussed above, will still exist.  Don't get me wrong; having
technology that works for us will help, but a biology lab will still
involve dicection, and performing on a stage will still mean
navigating it safely.  My point is that the way we are treated stems
from the professors' attitudes about blindness.  Some are open,
understanding, and willing to accomidate, while others refuse to work
with us, do not listen, and don't allow us in their classes.

Not sure what the solution is here...  But I think speaking up helps.
Maybe we need to speak to universities about these problems; perhaps
we need to speak to administrators of higher education institutions.
And maybe we need to form groups in our states and speak up at our
universities.  I really don't know what could be done.  This is such a
large issue that is magnified in the job market and as we blind people
travel in the real world.  But it's something to ponder as we begin
our semesters this winter.

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind performing arts division secretary,