[nabs-l] NFB writing contests for adults and youth

Lewis, Anil ALewis at nfb.org
Mon Jan 19 18:49:50 UTC 2015

>From Donna W. Hill

I am writing to ask you to spread the word about the 35th annual writing contests for youth and adults with visual impairments, sponsored by the NFB Writers' Division. Whether people have been writing throughout their lives or are new to the craft, writing brings a wonderful sense of accomplishment, enabling the writer to share something unique with others. It can also enlighten, transform and empower the writer. Each of us has a story to tell.

The 2015 adult contest, which has categories for fiction, poetry, nonfiction (memoir/personal essay) and stories written for kids, is open to anyone over 18 years of age with a visual impairment. Any topic or theme is fair game, though we are requesting this year that the number 75 be included in some way in honor of the 75th anniversary of the NFB.

Entries will be accepted through April 1, 2015. There is a $6 entry fee for each adult entry. There is no fee for the youth contest, which promotes Braille literacy.

Prizes for adult first through third place in each category are $100, $50 and $25. Youth prizes for first through third place in each category, given for elementary, middle and upper school levels,  are $30, $20 and $10. All winners will be announced at the NFB national convention in July and will be eligible for inclusion in Slate and Style, the literary journal of the NFB Writers' Division.

Additional contest details and submission guidelines for the Adult Contest:
http://writers.nfb.org/2015AdultGuidelines.html

Guidelines for the Youth contest:
http://writers.nfb.org/2015YouthGuidelines.html

Thank you for distributing this information. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Donna W. Hill

570-833-2708
dwhill at epix.net<mailto:dwhill at epix.net>
http://DonnaWHill.com

-- The Heart of Applebutter Hill - a novel on a mission:
http://DonnaWHill.com<http://donnawhill.com/>