[nabs-l] Survey on Teaching Topographic Maps

Li Zhou via Nfb-science nfb-science at nfbnet.org
Sat Jan 24 10:59:33 UTC 2015

Dear Teachers,

     We at APH are currently considering developing a product that may
help students with blindness and low vision understand how contour
lines are drawn and how topographic maps are used. Because topographic
maps and contour lines are 2D quantitative representations developed
by simplifying real 3D land surfaces, some students without adequate
visual input may have difficulty in understanding this abstract
knowledge.

     We are conducting a short survey to learn how this knowledge is
currently being taught to these students and whether it is necessary
to add additional tools. If you have ever taught middle or high school
students who are visually impaired (even if you have never taught this
specific knowledge), please consider taking this survey. If you happen
to know some other teachers (including those in general schools) who
have ever done so, please help us by forwarding this message.

     To take the survey, please click the following link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/topography

     The survey will remain active until January 31st, 2015.

     Thank you!

Li Zhou, Ed.D.
Core-Curriculum Project Leader
American Printing House for the Blind