[nabs-l] Disclosing That I am Blind on job/internship application process?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:17:19 UTC 2015

Hi, Miso and all,

I'm in a position where my field helps people who have disabilities.
I would be very selective in using this, but if I'm applying to work
in a school's special needs program I might say, "As someone who is
disabled I believe I will have a greater sense of empathy and
knowledge of disability issues than someone who does not have a
disability."  That could also lead into talk about role modeling and
the student feeling more comfortable discussing disability issues with
me than their non-disabled parents, teachers, friends, etc. However,
if I'm applying for a job in someplace like a hospital setting, where
disability is not the main thing, I would say the same but say, "As I
have been hospitalized as a child to undergo surgeries and other
treatments," instead of the disability bit.

I currently hold two jobs and am waiting to hear back from another
where blindness was a factor in my hiring process.  One sounds similar
to yours in that it is an accessibility tester for my school, and the
other is at a center for the blind in my hometown where I work the
phones at the front desk.  I have 2 separate resumes to use when
applying for one or the other kind of job; for jobs that don't want to
hear about blindness stuff I've got a very clean-cut resume, but for
jobs like this and the disability services office one I interviewed
for I have one that mentions the access technology I can use, the
braille codes I know, my experience working with others who have
disabilities, etc.

You also have to be careful on resumes with the scholarships; my
"clean" one doesn't mention the word blind at all, except for that I
volunteered at one place for the blind for a significant time under
music therapists and the center where I was a receptionist.  The other
one mentions it far more, including my NFB scholarships at the
national and state level, the camp I counsel for, etc.  Also on the
clean copy I use "visually impaired" when describing positions that
have me working with blind people.  Not that I'm a fan of doing that
in normal life, but in my field it is the politically correct
terminology and it isn't as jarring as saying blind.

On 7/24/15, Bryan Duarte via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
> process they would be flying me out to Mountain View California for a series
> of follow up interviews with four more engineers where I would be expected
> to write code once again, but this time it would be writing it on a white
> board. For software engineers this is a common way of laying out code when
> working on teams so I was familiar with the possibility this would be asked
> of me. Now I had a decision to make here. I could disclose my blindness and
> give them the opportunity to make accommodations for me a head of time, or I
> could show up to the interview concealing my disability and potentially set
> myself up for failure. I continued to listen intently to how the process was
> going to work and when he asked me if I had any questions I took this
> opportunity to say, "Yes actually I do have a question and a few comments."
> I went on to explain that I have no problem using google hangouts and google
> docs to write code, but I did have a little issue with white boarding code.
> My exact words were something to the effect of, well you might notice my
> references to all the focus on blind accessibility and assistive technology,
> he replied yes, and I told him it is because I am a software engineer who
> has no problem developing software with the best of them but I do it as a
> blind person. As you might guess he was able to read between the lines when
> he reviewed my resume and already had a pretty good idea but as a good
> recruiter he was not going to ask the question unless I first brought it up.
>

> To sum this up I will be having an interview with Google engineers this
> August and if I should make it to the second stages of interviews they are
> well aware of my disability, my need for accommodations, and more than
> willing to make those necessary accommodations. I think we as people with a
> disability in a world that is becoming more and more aware of our presents
> and drive for equal and competitive employment it is in our favor to wait
> for the right time and place to disclose our disability in a way that makes
> it known we will be doing things differently but we can and will still be
> committed to the opportunity just as the rest of the people who interview. I
> hope this helps.
>
> Go Devils!
>
> Bryan Duarte
> ASU Software Engineering
> QwikEyes CEO
>
>> On Jul 24, 2015, at 8:57 AM, Justin Harford via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You could put blind related experience on your resume. For example, if you
>> served on the board of the Association of blind students at any level, you
>> could put that on your resume as part of your experience.
>>
>> This is if you were looking to disclose.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Jul 24, 2015, at 6:00 AM, Suzanne Germano via nabs-l
>>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> My opinion if you put in on a resume you make it look like maybe it is
>>> issue. It is like at a career fair it would have been awkward for me to