[nabs-l] Disability Language

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:50:33 UTC 2015

Justin, the idea that you know better what someone should be
called than they do themselves seems awfully patronizing.  Isn't
that sort of idea that others know how we should live our lives
better than we do a large part of what we in the NFB and other
disability rights organizations spend our time fighting.  Also I
happen to know that there are a lot of deaf people who consider
themselves Deaf with a capital d and are very proud of their
culture.  Calling them "persons with hearing impairments" or
something similar is extremely disrespectful.