[nabs-l] Disability Language

Justin Harford blindstein at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 22:18:42 UTC 2015

I share a similar experience, working here in the independent living movement. I always use the politically correct language when referring to other people, and when at professional functions, but I am always a blind person, not a person who is blind.

> On Jul 25, 2015, at 2:54 PM, Kaiti Shelton via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Personally, what Caitlin just said extends to me even as a student in
> a clinical field.  I may be corrected in the future, but if I don't
> see how a supervisor will have reason to correct me for identifying
> myself as long as I am professional and politically correct when
> referring to clients.  They can correct me all they want if I call a
> child I'm working with, "One of my blind kiddos," but if I'm saying,
> "As a blind person I..." and they call me out on it, I'm likely to
> explain why I prefer identity first language and liken it to Deaf with
> a capital D instead of hearing impaired, and other such examples.
>
> I accept it is the right thing to do in clinical work, and want to set
> a good example for others I might meet as a professional, but that is
> separate from my personal beliefs and how I want to be
> treated/referred to.  You're right, you do have to separate personal
> from professional and if people take issue with what I call myself and
> not my clients, then that's them not separating the two, not I.
>
>> On 7/25/15, Caitlin Best via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> I work for the army and the equal opportunity office for roughly 5 years, so
>> I had a great deal of death employees come into my office. Most deaf people
>> are very proud of their culture and their community and you don't even
>> consider themselves to have a disability. They do preferred to use a D – a D
>> to describe themselves. Also, using hearing impairment is very
>> disrespectful. Most preferred to use hard of hearing or simply death because
>> that is how they see themselves.
>>
>> As for other disability language, I would just rolled with whatever the
>> person or people are comfortable with.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 25, 2015, at 13:50, Karl Martin Adam via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Justin, the idea that you know better what someone should be called than
>>> they do themselves seems awfully patronizing.  Isn't that sort of idea
>>> that others know how we should live our lives better than we do a large
>>> part of what we in the NFB and other disability rights organizations spend
>>> our time fighting.  Also I happen to know that there are a lot of deaf
>>> people who consider themselves Deaf with a capital d and are very proud of
>>> their culture.  Calling them "persons with hearing impairments" or
>>> something similar is extremely disrespectful.

>>> identity-first ("blind person"). What Dr. Dunn recommends is that

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/justin.willia

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/kmaent1%40gma