[nabs-l] Disability Language

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 01:18:01 UTC 2015

I know a music therapist who I volunteer under, and she sets a great
example of this.  I don't think she shies away from talking about her
blindness at all, especially as her primary population is blind
children and children with multiple disabilities.  Years ago when I
saw her for braille music lessons that was very helpful to me.  She
was someone I could go to for things outside of music because I could
relate to her, and at the time she was the only blind adult my family
and I knew.  As I got older and started volunteering with her, I saw
how important it was to be attentive to the needs and wants of
different families she worked with.  While one client might readily
identify themselves as blind, and their parents as well, another would
say "visually impaired."  She was always very perceptive and
respectful of individual choices in terminology, but never shied away
from calling herself a blind person in conversation from what I
observed.  I volunteered under her for several hours at a time once a
month for four years, and still do so when I have a break that lines
up with her sessions.

I very much so think that the human services professions leave a lot
to be desired for those of us with disabilities who are aspiring
practitioners.  That umbrella of professions from what I've observed
just hasn't caught up with the notion of the helpees being the helpers
alongside the able-bodied professionals yet.  There is only one way
that we're going to make this lapse in understanding better, and that
is if we educate them through our example.  I personally think that
anyone working in a disability field needs to seriously take time to
learn what the daily minute details of life are like for the people
they serve so that situations where the professional has no clue what
is really best for their client can be avoided.  I also think that
agencies across the subfields of human services won't think they have
the time, money, or reason to require their employees to work that
hard to understand their clientelle.  The best way we can change the
status quo is if we get in there and show them how to approach this
and situations like it.  It is disrespectful to assume that everyone
who can't hear wants to be called "hearing impaired," or "a person who
is deaf."  Arielle's example about Autism, and what some feel about
blindness, are further examples that discredit the idea that first
person language is the only way to go.

I don't know about other human services students, but I've been taught
that therapy is all about trying creative solutions to best suit the
needs of the individual.  This one-size-fits-all approach to
referencing disabilities isn't current, as I'm sure the article
Arielle posted in the beginning and others attest.  Another crucial
part of therapy, no matter what type, is establishing rapport and a
therapeutic connection with clients.  I want the kids I will work with
to ask me questions about their disabilities or my own so that they
can come to a better understanding of myself.  I feel more comfortable
and less stuffy when I'm referred to as "a blind person," and perhaps
that might do a client of mine some good in the future.  If they see a
confident and productive adult who is comfortable in their own skin
they'll be more likely to ask questions and share thoughts on their
own disability or condition.  It happened with me and the music
therapist I mentioned earlier, and I doubt that was a rare case.