[nabs-l] Disability Language

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 20:11:08 UTC 2015

Well, Car, I believe some of us do.  It's no different from the Deaf
community where people can choose to be a part of it or not; some
blind people feel this way and others don't.

Back on the topic at hand, though, blindness isn't what defines us, so
why would we hide from it?  If it defines us so that we need to hide
behind the agency-accepted labeling system and avoid using the term
first then I think that's a bigger issue, at least in my case, than
being forthright and open about it.  Of course everyone will and
should go with what feels most natural to them as we've been saying in
this thread, but that's how I personally feel about it.

We're all people, but think about it this way; everyone uses identity
language.  I've never heard, "A person who is black/African American"
before because even those in that category would find it odd and
silly.  On facebook and other social media I see people of different
races identifying themselves as a
black/Mexican/Hispanic/Latino/White/Asian person all the time.  If we
are just like them and our disabilities are as inconsequential as we
say they are, then why is it so taboo to identify ourselves by a
characteristic that binds us together with other people?