[nabs-l] A National Symbol of Blindness?

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:10:37 UTC 2015

I definitely think the white cane with the red tip is a symbol of
blindness. Not all blind people use canes, but I think it's fair
to say that most do, and a symbol doesn't have to apply to every
single person. If a sighted person is walking down the street and
sees a white cane, he/she automatically thinks, "Blind person."
That's what a symbol is--an image or object that makes one think
of something else.
     In my opinion, the white cane symbolizes more than just a
lack of vision. To blind people, it symbolizes independence. It
symbolizes our freedom to, in the words of the NFB, live the life
we want. The same could be said for things like braille and guide
dogs.