[nabs-l] Analyzing Qualitative Data with Software

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 02:27:03 UTC 2015

Hi Cindy,
I have little experience with qualitative data and have never used
qualitative software. However, I recently prepared a qualitative
summary of some focus group data by hand, and it was a very manageable
task. My colleague coded the same data using software and our reports
were quite similar. So I'm not convinced that qualitative software is
actually required, and if it carries accessibility hassles, then
coding by hand might end up being easier. Basically coding just
involves creating categories based on common themes you observe in the
transcript and then going through and assigning each participant
comment to one of the categories you create. I think the software may
help visually organize the data, but I'm not sure how much benefit you
would actually get from using software, unless you need to use it for
a qualitative software class. Others with mor qualitative experience
thanI might be able to comment further.
Best Arielle