[nabs-l] Home Living Skills

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 23:50:12 UTC 2015

Hi Helga and all. As far as coffee goes, if you are uncomfortable
pouring hot coffee into a cup, you can buy a coffee maker that brews
your coffee directly into a single mug. When I pour my hot coffee from
coffeepot to mug, I feel how high the steam is rising and stop when
the steam is approaching the top of the cup. I usually don't fill my
mug all the way up to the brim when the coffee is super hot. As for
the other tasks, I think you'll find they're done mostly the same way
whether you are sighted, low-vision or totally blind. The only real
difference is that you will be using your touch to determine when
something is clean. You can tell when the bathroom counter or the side
of the tub is clean because it will no longer feel grimy. For toilets
and mirrors, just scrub the entire surface thoroughly. I always vacuum
and sweep barefoot and when I think I've covered the whole area, walk
around and feel with my feet to see if there is any remaining dirt.
If you're unsure about your cleaning, you could have a sighted person
come in and tell you if you've cleaned everything well enough. If not,
you may want to have another blind person observe you cleaning and
they can give you some advice on how to improve your technique.
Arielle