[nabs-l] 5 Reasons Why Guide Dogs Are a Terrible Idea!

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 01:29:56 UTC 2015

Hi all,
 Thanks  Joe for sharing this.

 If   your aim in the subject line is to get one’s attention than I’sure you’ve done it.
 Knowing what I know, seeing what I’ve seen and understanding what I do, It seems like a very important thing to think about, the considerations   surrounding  getting a dog  guide.
  There are many reasons why people might decide that a dog might be the best mobility tool for them (Yes, the dog  is an animal, but consider that when they are in   harness they are as much a travel tool as a cane would be.
 A cane requires far less   moving parts in it’s usage   than a dog might,  and yet the dog  requires that you interact with your  physical environment  much less than a cane might.
 I  personally know of folks who love dogs, but would not    go to train for a guide   because of the responsibilities that come with the puppy.  I also know of folks who have gotten a dog guide  though otherwise they wouldn’t have a dog in their lives.
  I think  that though  I  may oversimplify the topic,  there
      ). are many reasons why a blind person may have either a cane or dog in their lives, though I personally believe that a solid  foundation in the former can be absolutely key in maximizing the ability to work the latter, there’s nothing wrong with deciding to get a dog.
 What I think Joe points out are valid reasons  why if you don’t really think it through then getting a dog guide could be a bad idea.  it’s not a  dig  and I doubt it  destroys  the image  of guide dogs, their owners and the schools they come from.
 This, however is just my humble opinion on the matter.
  Best,
 Darian