[nabs-l] Student orgs related to disability

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:12:48 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am excited to report that after meeting another blind student on my
campus she and I are working to establish a student organization for
students with and without disabilities to discuss accessibility, raise
awareness of disability issues, etc.  We were particularly struck by
the fact that we would have never met had a professor we've both had
not thought to encourage both of us to join an ensemble this semester;
we have spent the past 2 and a half years of our college careers
separately thinking we were the only blind student on campus.  We have
since found out we were both in the same dorm building our freshman
year, and I even had a friend I visited frequently on her floor.
While we understand the need for the disability services staff to
maintain confidentiality, it was striking to find out that we were
experiencing the exact same problems on campus and because there
wasn't a united front nothing was being done to fix them.

We wondered if this was effecting anyone else on campus, so we
approached our DS office about faculty sponsorship for the
organization.  They agreed to it, but have let the other girl and I
spearhead things.  They're providing the space and possibly some light
refreshments for an info session in a few weeks.

We have a few ideas in mind for the club, but I'm interested in
getting input from other students.  We know we want to do some
outreach on campus and possibly form a fundraiser by selling something
to raise awareness of disability issues.  We know we'd like to
affiliate with Delta Alpha Pi, the international honors society for
students with disabilities.  Since she and I both have experience in
martial arts we'd also like to make a membership activity in the
future a self-defence workshop aimed towards people with disabilities.
Any other ideas?

--
Kaiti