[nabs-l] is anyone on here studying to become a family therapist?

Elif Emir Öksüz filerime at gmail.com
Sat May 2 00:58:49 UTC 2015

Hello Vejas,
I'm a counselor and doctoral student in counselor education.
As it was said here before there are several ways to work in helping
professions. Psychology and social work undergrad degrees- graduate
degrees and counseling graduate degrees are different ways for this.
There are also marriage and family counseling programs. If you want to
work in these areas, you can start with a related undergrad major such
as psychology and social work. Then you can continue to your graduate
education. Social work is more well-known and well-recognized than
counseling now, however, in terms of therapy skills I am biased and
recommend counseling. Psychology graduate programs are longer. As far
as I know you can't see clients with a masters degree, you need to
have psychology doctoral degree.

Start somewhere related. Non-of them is bad. You can make your
decision through the end. My department chaire had his undergrad even
from business.
Working with people is hard but so rewarding. Don't worry your
training will also prepare you about self-care. I'm not depressed than
others since I'm listening others' problems.
You'll get used to it.
Lastly think about clinical mental health counseling as well. You
don't need to limit yourself with only family counseling. Clinical
mental health counseling title let you work both with groups,
individuals and families as long as you have training.
Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/lizmohnke%40h