[nabs-l] 6 Dot Dash Virtual Runner Information

Lewis, Anil ALewis at nfb.org
Thu May 14 14:01:58 UTC 2015

National Federation of the Blind 6 Dot Dash
Virtual Runner Registration Information

Research has demonstrated that blind people who know and use Braille have higher rates of employment, self-confidence, and general social integration. Yet, only ten percent of blind children are receiving instruction in Braille in public schools. Additionally, there are not enough programs to teach Braille to blind adults. We need to move quickly to reverse this trend and establish stronger literacy programs. Our 6 Dot Dash is one means of ensuring that we do not leave the blind behind.

On June 7, 2015, the National Federation of the Blind will once again be holding its 6 Dot Dash: A 6K to Advance Braille Literacy! Although everyone will not be able to join us at our headquarters in Federal Hill to participate in our third annual 6 Dot Dash through the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore, anyone can still participate as a virtual runner to assist members and friends of the National Federation of the Blind by making a donation to ensure that blind students have access to the necessary services and supports to cross the literacy finish line. Just follow these simple steps to register as a 6 Dot Dash Virtual Runner or to become a member of a team.

First, go to our Dot Dash webpage at www.nfb.org/dot-dash<http://www.nfb.org/dot-dash>, and read the information about our event.
Click the "Register Today!" link to begin the registration.
Rather than completing the runner registration information, go directly to the "Enter donation" edit field, and enter the amount of your donation. Then click the "Order Now" link.

On the next page you should enter your name, email, credit card and billing information so that we can process your donation. Then under the "Ticket 1 - Donations/Additional Donation" heading, input the name, phone, email, and mailing address of the virtual runner. If you are a member of a team, be sure to enter or select your team name in the drop down list box after supplying the information requested under the "Other Information" heading.

Finally, you should check the "I agree to the above waiver" checkbox in order to authorize payment on the credit card. Then click the "Pay Now" to make your donation and register as a virtual runner to help blind students cross the literacy finish line.

For decades, the National Federation of the Blind, the country's oldest and largest organization of the blind, has been the leading champion of Braille literacy. Offering a wealth of resources and knowledge, the NFB's Braille literacy programs are creating opportunities that otherwise would not exist. Every day the NFB raises the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. Help support our efforts by registering as a virtual runner for our 6 Dot Dash, and make it possible for all blind people to live the lives they want.

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.
Executive Director

National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland   21230

(410) 659-9314 ext. 2374 (Voice)
(410) 659-5129 (FAX)